Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Summit Brewery

This past spring a business professor of mine said he heard Summit Brewery may be having cash problems. The term "cash problem" is vague and could mean something serious (as in the company does not have enough cash to make payroll) or something innocuous (as in the company would like to expand but does not have the money to do so). I'm not sure where he was going with the statement and I didn't ask a follow-up.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a high-school friend who works for an Anheuser Busch distributor. We, of course, started talking about beer. I told him that my favorite Ale was Summit's Pale Ale and voiced my frustration with his distributor for not caring it. He said that while they don't carry it now, there were rumors that Anheuser Busch was thinking about buying Summit, or creating a distributing relationship. Being my son started to run towards the park, we ended up leaving the conversation with me unable to ask a follow-up.

I don’t want to start any rumors so don’t read into anything I've said. My guess is that if Summit is having "cash problems" it's because they want to expand, rather than experiencing lugubrious business issues. And expand I hope they do. Everyone in the world should have the experience of a ice cold Summit Pale Ale.

1 comment:

Scooter said...

Summit Anywhere. It has a ring.