Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hack is a hack

I've been informed that I was recently thrown under the bus. To try and resolve an issue last week (the day before customers were suppose to use the product), we put in a configuration file hack on a live server. The hack was not applied to all instances of the application running on the server, simply because we wanted to test the hack on one instance to see if the hack worked. Once it worked, the hack was not applied to all other instances.

I'll take the blame because in all honesty, I should have said something like "guys, we should really follow the process and make the hack an official change." An "official change" would require management approval and a new build of the application. But I didn't, and thus got burned.

To be honest, I really don't care that I'm now under the bus. I'm not trying to get promoted. I don't think there is a chance I'll get fired over it. I'm not sensitive to what others think of me. So who really cares? A hack is a hack. The people asking me to make the hack should understand that.

No comments: