Friday, July 24, 2009

Groovy

I took a moment this afternoon to write a few lines of Groovy code. If you're not familiar with Groovy, which I’m not, it's a fairly new programming language (or at least new to me). I've heard it's much like Python, which I'm also not familiar with.

I've got this Java test suite I call the "McNoland." It's basically an accumulation of different testing I've been doing with Java over the course of a few years. Every time I need to learn something new, I try to package it into my "McNoland" test suite.

What's cool about Groovy is that it fits right into "McNoland". I can create Groovy classes and run them from my entry point. Or in other words, I can write a class in Groovy and call it from Java. Pretty neat.

Now I'm not 100% sure what kind of problems I'd like to solve with Groovy. To be honest, I've not found much in Groovy that I can't do in Java. But I'll keep trying and see how it works out.

No comments: