Monday, September 29, 2008

Review: “The Dark Night”

After dropping our son off at grandpa and grandma’s, my wife and I went to “The Dark Knight.”  I’m usually not interested in comic book based movies.  However, a number of close friends thought that I’d be interested in the new Batman.  They were right, I was.  If you haven’t seen the movie, I’d be careful reading this blog. 

The writer, Christopher Nolan (no relationship), did a great job matching up the psychotic Joker against the billionaire Bruce Wayne, who is really Batman.  I remember Bruce Wayne from the t.v. show, but I don’t remember him being a Gotham City aristocrat?  Do you?

The Joker hooks up with an organized crime unit and promises to get their money back from the justice department that had kidnapped a Hong Kong businessman who was laundering the money for the criminals.  What was the Joker’s motivation?  He’s a nut job.  The money was insignificant as he ended up burning it.

The Joker, played by the deceased Heath Ledger, has a fascination with bombs.  His most creative use, in my opinion, is when he wires up two cruise ships which were used to evacuate Gotham City.  One boat was filled with prisoners while the other was filled with average citizens.  Why they were letting prisoners out of Gotham first is a mystery to me, but it made the story interesting.  Each boat had the detonator for the other boat.  If neither boat blew up the other, both boats would supposedly blow up at midnight.

The Joker was using this as a social experiment.  Would the civilians blow up the prisoners so they could live?  Or would the prisoners overtake the boat’s commander and blow up the civilian boat?  As it turns out, neither boat exploded.  The Joker had been wrong, humans won’t sacrifice another life to save their own.

There is a lot more to the story, but this post has gotten long enough.  My recommendation would be to see “The Dark Night.”  I give it a thumbs up.

No comments: