Sunday, August 29, 2010

Credit Card Reform - Not For Me

Since Congress passed the Credit Card Reform Act, I've seen my card add an annual fee and increase my borrowing rate. The Act has a number of consumer protections (predatory lending, debiting higher interested balances first, advanced notice of rate increases, etc.,) but none of them directly help me. I pay any balance monthly and threaten to change cards if any unfair change is thrust upon me.

I guess in a way I was benefiting from other's ineptitude to manage their expenses or fend off aggressive banks. So maybe my new annual fee from Chase is simply my way of giving back to the greater good. Or, maybe we're continuing to babysit people who struggle to financially take care of themselves. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

No comments: