Friday, August 06, 2010

Apple iPhone 4.0.1 upgrade

It took three days, one call to Apple, two calls from Apple, two support staff members (the last being a senior level tech), a one-time approval to re-download previously paid for music, but I'm finally upgraded to iPhone OS 4.0.1.

We're not 100% sure why it happened, but during the upgrade process something went wrong. And then during the restore process, something went really wrong. When the restore failed (error 1604 I think), my phone was rendered useless and prompted me to try six different steps, the last being "call Apple."

The tech reps were excellent. Though my phone does not include Tech Support, being it was an upgrade issue, they agreed to help me. And then even agreed to go through some hoops to get all my music back. Apparently, music is not included in your backups (or syncs) by default. So I had to re-download it all. They showed me how to change my sync settings so now music is backed up.

All in all I lost just a couple of songs that for some reason didn't show up on the list of things I've purchased from Apple's iTunes. It's only a couple so I'm not complaining.

Now that I'm pieced back together, I'll review some of the new features in 4.0.1.

No comments: