Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Dull, Duller and Dullest"

While I've never read anything in detail about Winston Churchill, the few notes about him I've found about him are great. I'm just about finished with a book called "Power, Faith and Fantasy - America in the Middle East: 1776 to the Present" by Michael Oren. It's a monster of a book (615 pages), but a great read. After I finish it, I'll provide a formal review.

Anyway, Churchill shows up a number of times in the book. Last night Oren quoted Churchill giving his opinion of John Foster Dulles who was the Secretary of State for Eisenhower. Churchill references Dulles by "Dull, Duller and Dullest." I started to chuckle.

I'm not sure if he called Dulles this in person, but I wouldn't doubt it. They were not the best of friends.

No comments: