Friday, June 06, 2008

Review: Term Limits

Two nights ago I finished up with Vince Flynn's first book called Term Limits. For a novel it's pretty long read at 610 pages. Flynn's dialog tends to be in paragraphs so the 610 pages are well filled. That is in contrast to writers like Dean Koontz or James Patterson who write dialog in shorter statements (like I do by the way).

I wouldn't rate Term Limits as my favorite Flynn book. While I was warned, by a friend of mine, Mitch Rapp never shows up. I found this odd as my assumption was that all of Flynn's writings centered around Rapp.

Term Limit's primary character is Congressman (or was it Senator?) Michael O'Rourke from Minnesota. He's a former University of Minnesota hockey player (go Gophers!) and Recon Marine. O'Rourke shows up in some future Flynn books, but I think as a minor character.

The entire story is based on the assassination of three senators and one congressman (or three congressman and one senator). The four men killed were known as Washington slime balls and while the country was concerned about their murders, the U.S. was better of that they were dead.

Michael O'Rourke gets involved as he knows who killed the men. The reader is thrown for a twist though when two other senator and congressman's show up dead. O'Rourke is confused as the original assassins insist they didn't have anything to do with the latest two killings.

I won't give any more of the story away, but will tell you that there are two ignominious members of the president's cabinet (i.e. Mike Nance and Stu Garret) who look pretty guilty all the way through the book.

Should you read it? If you're goal is to read all of Flynn's books, which is a goal of mine, then give it a shot. If not, I might recommend skipping this one.

No comments: