Thursday, February 14, 2008

Google's Chief Economist

We've all heard that age old joke - what do you do with an economics degree? Go to grad-school or work at McDonalds. Or something like that.

Stephen Dubner had a good piece on Google's chief economist, Hal Varian. I'm pretty sure Hal has an advanced degree in economics, but I found it interesting that a private business has hired an economists of all people and given them a healthy title.

I took a quick look at my company and didn't find anyone titled "chief economist." I'm sure if I worked at a bank, they would have one. In fact, I think I've heard my bank's former chief economist talk before.

Is this a growing trend for other companies though? That is, should technical companies like Google hire C-level economists to help guide them?

No comments: