Saturday, February 16, 2008

Denver Book Store

You may find this odd, but I enjoy wandering book stores. Occasionally I buy something, but for the most part, I just like to immerse myself in the myriad of books.

A few months ago I read an article on the top ten book stores in the U.S. I can't remember what number it was, but the Tattered Cover in Denver was listed.

When I arrived in Denver I told my friend that I'd like to visit it. He said there was one right over by his house. A franchise I asked? He said there were a few around town.

Now I'm not anti-franchise, but typically I don't associate "top ten" businesses to visit with anything relating to a franchise. That is, typically businesses that are worthy of a lengthy write-up about how unique and grand they are, are not franchises. So you can imagine my dismay when I found out there was more than one.

Using the local phone book, I called the first Tattered Cover book store I found. I explained the article I read and while the operator was not familiar with the write-up, she said it was most likely about their downtown store off of the 16th Street Mall. I thanked her and made plans for my trip downtown.

Denver has a light-rail system that is similar to what the Twin Cities have and are planning to expand. In fact, the trains look almost exactly the same. Fortunately there was a station right by where I was staying. With a hot coffee, I jumped aboard and within about thirty minutes, was downtown.

As I've been accustom to, after getting off the train I went East while the book store was West. After breakfast and another coffee, I eventually found the Tattered Cover at the West end of the mall.

The store was wonderful. It has old hardwood floors that make you feel like you're in the old West. Like most all bookstores, it has a large section for new releases. There looked to be plenty of room for older books as well. The magazine section was especially thorough.

I didn't really need anything, but decided it would be best to buy something. Especially since I used their restrooms. For about five bucks, I purchased the current edition of Writers' Journal.

If you get to Denver and need some time to kill, check out the Tattered Cover. If you like book stores, it's worth your while.

No comments: