Friday, January 18, 2008

Tax Rebates

Chances are that we'll be getting some kind of tax rebate in the coming weeks or months. Bush is pushing for $145 billion or so and would like to give tax payers $800 each.

The rebate will be good in the short-term as I'm guessing a majority of us will head off to the malls and spend, spend, spend. Long-term though the picture might not be so bright.

Under the Bush government we've had a propensity to take on large deficits. Debt is good, too much debt is bad. Even if you're the government.

I only bring this up as if it were up to me, I'd limit the rebate as much as possible. Yes, we need a stimulate to help us make it through the current recession (yes I just said current recession), but we can't jeopardize long-term success.

How do you feel about a possible rebate?

No comments: