Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sir Edmund Hillary

Sir Edmund Hillary died yesterday. Wikipedia was updated within minutes of his death. I checked my thirty-six volume encyclopedia downstairs, it sill had him listed a beekeeper.

I'm not sure why, but I thought Hillary had died years ago. Until I read Into Thin Air (great read), I had never heard of Hillary. There must have been so many deaths in that book that I just figured Hillary had been one of them.

Turns out I might have been thinking of Shackleton, who did die years ago. 1922 to be exact.

It should be noted that the Sherpa Sardar Tenzing Norgay was fundamental in Hillary's success. Norgay and Hillary are the first people to ascend Mount Everest. Though it happens all the time now, they were first and should be commended.

No comments: