Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Who’s talking about it?

So I was watching part of Sunday Night Football on NBC and overheard Al Michaels state “Bionic Woman, the show everyone’s talking about” – or something along that line. That got me wondering; who’s exactly talking about it?

I don’t consider myself an avid television fan. Most of my viewing comes in the form of either news or sports – not in that order. I do however have a number of contemporaries who like watching television. Honestly, I’ve never heard one of them “talk” about that Bionic Woman. Simpsons, Family Guy, Sopranos (when they were still going), or 24, yes. Bionic Woman, no.

So here is my hypothesis. Al Michaels, nor anyone viewing television, are talking about Bionic Woman. Only the NBC executives and producers are talking about Bionic Woman. That’s what happens when new shows come out. The stations lie and say everyone is talking about it hopping the ignorant public will assume that if our neighbors are talking about it, the show must be good.

I’ll never watch the show, but I’m willing there will be a few who will. Let’s see if they will be “talking about it” after the season ends. Watching the short introduction, I’m betting no. But then again, who am I to say.

No comments: