Monday, November 12, 2007

Kiva?

We do a holiday gift exchange with my family. We throw every one's name in a hat, then draw names and hope you don't get yourself - which is illegal and initiates a re-draw. This year instead of exchanging $50 gifts, we're giving half to Kiva plus a $25 gift to the family member you got in the drawing. Not my idea, but I do see it as a moral alternative to bathing each other in gifts, which no one really needs.

We're looking at making a donation to Kiva to support their operational expenses. Being the curious person I am, I decided to check Kiva out for their investment opportunities. I like what I see. An easy way to invest a small amount of extra money, and as a side affect, you make some interest on it! What a great idea.

I'm going to do a bit more research on Kiva to make sure they are not supporting child labor camps or terrorist. If my research comes back clean, I'm going to invest some money (probably around $100) and see how it does.

1 comment:

Mac Noland said...

After following up with my aunt, who is spearheading our giving, I found out you don't earn interest in your money. But you may get it back, which in our case simply means we'd loan it out again.