Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Apophis

The other night I picked up an old National Geographic and read Richard Stone's article Target Earth about deadly asteroids. The type that could destroy the entire earth.

Most of us think nothing of a killer rock the size of a small country hitting the earth. And for the most part, we don't have to. However, if one were coming, we'd most likely have little chance of survival.

Think I'm kidding? In 2029 there is an asteroid called Apophis which at one point was to have a 1 in 40 chance of hitting earth. That's pretty damn close. Researchers now say the chance is more like 1 in 40,000. Being Apophis could kill us all, those odds still worry me a bit. Apophis will fly by again in 2037, but has a much lower chance of impact.

I found that reading an article on asteroids before bed is bad. I hardly slept a wink that night. I kept thinking about how a big rock like Aphosis would hamper my golf game.

4 comments:

bosshart said...

Wit would be like if most, but not all humans were killed - it would be anarchy.

That is why I advise stockpiling guns, ammunition, and food.

Mac Noland said...

Maybe this is why my dad is trying to give me all his guns? You have a good point. I should take him up on his offer. Never know when a rock might hit.

Scooter said...

Pets are food. I just got a new cat.

Mac Noland said...

Cat is good I hear. I'll stop by for dinner sometime.