Monday, May 05, 2008

Slowing down the birds

Planes are starting to fly slower. Southwest Airlines, who seems to be the airline leader in anything close to being innovative, says they will save $42 million annually by adding one to three minutes on each flight.

Even if these savings don't filter down to the consumer, which they won't by the way, I'm supportive of their actions. What's one to three minutes? For me this actually works in my favor. When ever I fly I typically over allocate reading material. This leaves me in a frantic mess trying to finish the New York Times and the second half of a thriller while taxing to the terminal. One to three minutes will allow me to get one more article or two or three more pages finished.

I also think slowing down flights will be good for most Americans. We seem to want everything fast. Slowing down a few minutes would do us good.

2 comments:

Scooter said...

I didn't realize Steel Magnolias was in the thriller genre.

I'm not too particular about the extra few minutes either - I appreciate my reading time.

Mac Noland said...

I don't appreciate your satire.