Thursday, February 21, 2008

Free Pop

My new area has free pop. And unlike the vending machines, no major vendor (e.g. Coke) bought the rights to distribute their products, and their products only. We have Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Coke, etc.

Do I work harder because we have free pop? Not really. I've only exercised my right two or three times. I'm not a big pop drinker to begin with so free pop does little for me.

However, I may work a bit earlier and later in the day if we had free coffee. No, not that free shit most companies offer their salt-mine workers, but good stuff. Like Starbucks or Caribou. And as long as we're at it, let's get a latté machine. One of those nice big ones where you can mix a large, sugar free vanilla, skim, half café latté.

Would you work harder for free pop? How about free coffee? How about free food?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about free Beer? Now that would be the ticket!

Scooter said...

What's the justification for differentiation of privileges within the company when there's not a differentiation in work products (i.e. it's not a different division with marketing objectives divergent from the rest of the company, it's just a different department)?

Mac Noland said...

Beer? Well that would be nice, but would probably damper productivity and the home life.

Scooter, to be honest, I'm not 100% sold on the idea of free pop either. Even a simple thing as sugar water seems to put others in fits.

I "think" what the group is trying to do is create an entrepreneurial feel. And that's hard to do when you work for a large company.