Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Follow-up on my bowl points

A few weeks ago I blogged on how I came up with my prediction on the total number of points to be scored in all thirty-two bowl games. Using a formula that any third-grader could figure out, I calculated 1888.

With LSU beating OSU in last night's championship game, we found out that the total points scored was 1846. I was 42 points off.

I consider this a success. Given the variation in the number of points scored (99 in the Purdue vs. Central Michigan game and 13 in the Mississippi vs. UCF game), being off only 42 points is gratifying.

Even more impressive than my prediction though is how close Vegas was. Which to be honest, is basically what my prediction was with a few twists and turns.

What does this all mean? Nothing. I lost the bowl pool and a side bet. But if it would have come down to a tie-breaker, my entry of 1888 had most people beat.

No comments: