Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Parts of Speech

I'm trying to write better. In dong so, I'm stepping back to fifth or sixth grade and refreshing my memory on the parts of speech. These are things I should have paid more attention to when I was young, but you know how that goes. Talking to girls and playing baseball were too important.

The University of Ottawa has a nice site called Parts of Speech where they lay out, nouns, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions and interjections. The first three I have a handle on, but the last three are still a bit fuzzy for me. I understand adverbs, but could use an update with those as well.

As I go through this exercise I find it really amazing how little I know about our language. It's almost as I slept through most of my English classes. But then I think about it, I must have learned something or I would not be writing this today. Maybe I know more than I think?

Wish me luck as I try to learn more about the English language and start to write better.

No comments: