Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How I like to finalize a car deal

On Monday I managed to piss off almost every employee at Denny Hecker's Hyundai Dealership in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota. It was expected, and planned, as I was there to finalize a deal on the Santa Fe.

The hatred started when I told the appraiser, through my sales contact, that offering me $1850 for my Mustang was in insult. To be honest I would have taken $2000, but they would not budge - and I would not budge - and thus I took the car home with me.

Next I met with the after sales, salesmen. This is the person who tries to sell you clear coats and leather protection. My conversation went something like this.

BRETT:"Mac, you look like a guy that likes to protect his investment."
MAC: "Brett, I don't consider a car an investment. I consider it an asset that starts depreciating right after you give me those stupid keys."
BRETT:"Right! Just like me. It's good we think alike! Now, we've got a super offer on bumper protection. Retail value is over $1,000, but we've got it on sale, today only, for $699.
MAC: "I'm not interested."
BRETT:"Mac, but you want to protect that investment don't you?"
MAC: "Brett, remember a car is not an investment. It's a freaking hammer to me. As long as it works, I don't care if it has a cracked bumper or a scratch on the leather."
BRETT: "Right! Just like me. It's good we think alike! Mac, how about our paint protection?"
MAC: "No."
BRETT: "How about our rock chip protection?"
MAC: "No."
BRETT: "How about our cup holder protection?"
MAC: "No. Are we done yet?"
BRETT: "Mac, just one more section to cover. Now tell me the truth, are you interested in any of these products we're trying to screw you with?"
MAC: "Um ....... No."

Before heading over to finance, we shook hands and gave each other fake smiles.

Here's the first thing to know about car dealer finance folks. They don't know anymore about finance than you do. All they do is call around with your credit report and get a loan from whoever gives them the biggest kickback. They are nothing more than the final sales person trying to milk you of money.

The young gale went through myriad of programs and extended warranty programs.

MELISA: "What a deal Mac! Let's get you signed up for the extended warranty."
MAC: "I don't believe in them."
MELISA: "Mac, don’t be so foolish. This is one of the best deals around."
MAC: "No."
MELISA: "Why not?" she said while leaning over and staring me in the eyes.
MAC: "Probability of something major happening after the car warranty, multiplied by the retail cost of repair, is far less than what you want to charge me for, none-the-less, finance for me. It's not a good deal."
MELISA: "Proba-what?"
MAC: "Probability. You know, statistics....."
MELISA: Oh yaw, I didn't take that class. Well all I can say is, it saved my brother a lot of money last year." She said this in a snotty voice.
MAC: "Yes, but for the rest of the population, an extended warranty is a rip-off. I don't want it."

The conversation spiraled down from there. Once again, the deal was finalized with fake smiles by both.

So that was it. We got a nice new car and avoided the bogus add-ons they try to sell you. And to top it off, I got to piss off everyone that tried to sell me something. What a great night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

its easy to see they would of been better off without you as a customer! you dont realize people in sales have a job to do and the products and services they offer have many benefits of which some dont work for all people! a polite no would of been in order rather than you interviewing for the movie used cars as a deceptive buyer.you have your right to buy any way you want but you should come with a warning label!

Mac Noland said...

Hi Anonymous. First of all, thanks for the feedback.

I understand that their "extended" offerings do help people who want little risk in their lives. In fact I stated that to both the after sales person and finance manager. On the other hand, I also stated that I'm not one of those non-risk people. I'm willing to except the risk of having a rock chip in my paint. So for people like me, those programs are a rip-off and I was candid in my reply. Not rude, just very candid.

As far as coming with a warning label, I'd be more than willing to wear one during any business transaction. Remember, negotiations are not easy and often involve emotions, which can get in the way. People involved in negotiations are compensated accordingly so I don't really feel that bad for being totally honest with them and telling them how I feel.

Scooter said...

Very amusing. Reminds me of buying a computer at Best Buy.