Friday, October 12, 2007

Why I'm not in Finance

Our company out-sources the company coffee shop (i.e. Caribou Coffee). This is just another good example of how out-sourcing is good for us. We're good at making software, but by the smell of our free coffee machine, we're not so good at making coffee.

Anyway, this is not the subject of my posting today. The coffee shop has a trivia question every day. If you get it right, you get 10 cents off your order. Today's question was "what department does not have casual Friday?" That is, what department will not let you wear jeans on Fridays.

My guess was Finance and as it turns out, I was right on. It's amazing how saving 10 cents makes you feel good on a Friday. Anyway, I finally figured out why I'm not in finance. I can't make the dress code.

I'm the type of person who likes to wear jeans every day. Shorts are my favorite, but as of right now, the company won't allow that. Dressing up is not fun for me. It's a drain in the morning to figure out what you need to wear. So I keep it simple. Jeans and a polo shirt.

Thus my career is probably going to be spent as an individual contributor in technology who can wear jeans on Friday or any other day for that matter. As for shorts; I'm working towards a midlife career as an author at which time I'll get up early in the morning, put on shorts and a tee-shirt, and dash off to my office to share my thoughts and stories.

No comments: