Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Your product and trademark

Would you rather buy a Toyota or a McNoland car? I’m guessing you’d lean towards the Toyota because; you’ve heard of them before, they have a reputation for quality, someone you know has one, or you won’t get in trouble by your spouse for buying one. Although I’m the fictional maker of the McNoland car, I’d by a Toyota as well for the same reasons – especially the last one.

Now if you’re and editor, would you hire a writer that you’ve heard of before, has a reputation for quality and has worked for other editors? I would.

How to new writers (like me) get into the business then? I’d argue – and I could be wrong – that you simply have to continue developing your product (i.e. you) and trademark (i.e. your name). The best way to do that is to continue to write and sell your name by accepting feedback from rejection letters and submit again, and again. Your product will continue to be refined and if done in a professional manor, your trademark will be developed.

I’ll let you know how this goes once I get my first article or book published.

No comments: